About the museums in Hallingdal
Hallingdal Museum Nesbyen
Hallingdal Museum Nesbyen, founded in 1899 as Hallingdal Folkemuseum, was among the very first open-air museums. Objects and buildings have been collected from the area of Hallingdal and from different ages. Staveloftet from 1300 is the oldest. Among the modern collections is a silver-fox farm. One building stands out from the rest with its white colour, a log-house moved here from North Dakota.
Hallingdal Museum Nesbyen is a part of Hallingdal Museum, which is an umbrella term for all the museums in the valley.
Hemsedal Bygdatun, Øvre Løkji
The homestead Museum Øvre Løkji is one of the oldest farmsteads in Hemsedal. There has probably been a farm here since the Age of Migration (400 – 600 A. D.) The buildings – farmhouse, storehouse, barn, cowshed, stable and smithy – date from between 1642 and 1876. A sauna, a field barn and a summer dairy farmhouse are erected outside the yard. The farmhouse and household contents is a good example of how people lived on a farm in Hemsedal in the 17th/18th century and till our time.
The cultural landscape belonging to the farm has been unchanged during centuries. Stone fences and stone piles tell the toil they had to make farmland in the steep hillsides. The forest has emerged on to the cultivated soil for decades, but restoring, grooming and grazing is opening the landscape again. The cultural landscape of Øvre Løkji is of “special national interest”.
From the farmyard leads an old road to Mount Skogshorn. It is a popular hiking path to Geiteberget and Storhøvde (Top 20) and Skurvefjell (climbing area).
Ål Bygdamuseum is a collection of buildings and objects from Ål and was founded in 1924. The origin of the museum was the Leksvol-farm (the lower court-yard). In addition several farmhouses were moved here, such as storehouses, mill, cookhouse, smithy, barn, cowshed, hayshed, stable and summer-farm buildings. You may also visit a school-house.
The museum was founded in 1914 and the first houses were moved to the museum in 1935. You will find the buildings placed as they originally were in a typical old farm in Hol. Some of the houses have exceptional rosepaintings.
The museum has exhibitions of old costumes and items from Hol.
Dagali Museum consists of 10 buildings and objekts from Dagali, Skurdalen, Tunhovd and Uvdal, all collected by Gunnar Steensen (1870-1970). Most of the buildings are from the 18th and the 19th century.
Gol Bygdemuseum, Skaga
The museum consists of the 8 buildings that formed the Skaga farm, all in their original setting. In addition 5 buildings were moved here after the museum was established.